Sigmundsberg Chapel stands on the site of old fortifications once controlling access to Mariazell. The church was built in 1471, then soon destroyed, and rebuilt in 1501 as a single-aisle Gothic mountain church with two bays and a chancel of five sides of an octagon. The sextagonal wooden roof turret and the roof are from an earlier period. The altar picture of 1761 depicts Maria lactans upon a crescent moon. The chapel contained the Statue of Mercy for a temporary period after the fire of 1827.